Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Third Assignment - Character Mapping


"Is the place any token of the author?"
"indicat auctorem locus?"

Ovid, EX PONTO, I. VII.

According to the Dartington.org website, the site on which Dartington Hall stands has been continuously occupied for well over a thousand years.

Create a fictional character (with a fictional name) who used to work at Dartington, in any capacity, in any of Dartington Hall's many past incarnations. Roman legionnaire forced to dig latrine? Dorothy and Leonard Elmhirst's butler (if they had one)? Write a short epitaph for this character (100 words, first person), and post it to the blog with the characters name as the post title. Write an even shorter 140 character epitaph for your character for Twitter, including your characters name in the Tweet. Write at least three more 140 character sentences about your character for Twitter, which include the character's name and refer directly to the character's relation to the place (Dartington Hall).

Also for next week, photograph or scan your postcards and add them to your postcard story blog posts. Link the sentence(s) in your story that came from another student's zine to the post containing those sentences - see my postcard story post as an example: I've Died And Gone To Devon

The fourth assignment will be to create a map in Google Maps, My Maps. You will need a Google account to do this. Sign up for one and familiarize yourself with Google Maps, My Maps for next class: http://maps.google.co.uk/


Reading:

"Outside the window was like a map, except that it was in 3 dimensions and it was life-size because it was the thing it was a map of. And there were so many things it made my head hurt, so I closed my eyes, but then I opened them because it was like flying, but nearer to the ground, and I think flying is good. And then the country side started and there were fields and cows and horses and a bridge and a farm and more houses and lots of little roads with cars on them. And that made me think that there must be millions of miles of train track in the world and they all go past houses and roads and rivers and fields, and that made me think how many people must be in the world and they all have houses and roads to travel on and cars and pets and clothes and they all eat lunch and go to bed and have names and this mad my head hurt, too, so I closed my eyes again and did counting." Mark Haddon, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, NY: Vintage, 2003, pp 160-161.

No comments:

Post a Comment